The temple is dedicated to Lord Mangueshi, an incarnation of Shiva. He is a kuldevta of many Hindus in Goa including the Saraswat Brahmins. He is also referred to as Saib (The Lord of Goa) by Hindus.
The Mangesh Linga is said to have been consecrated on the mountain of Mangireesh (Mongir) on the banks of river Bhagirathi by Lord Brahma , from where the Saraswat Brahmins brought it to
Trihotrapuri in Bihar. They carried the linga to Gomantaka and settled at Mathagrama, the presentday Madgaon, establishing their most sacred and ancient temple of Mangesh on the banks of the river Gomati or Zuari as it is called today. Lord Mangesh is worshipped here in the shape of a Shiva linga. According to the legends Lord Shiva had manifested in to a tiger to scare Parvati. Paravati who was paranoid at the sight of the tiger went in search of Lord Shiva. Parvati was supposed to say "Trahi maam Gireesh" but instead out of nervousness she said: "Trahimangeesh".
Shri Mangueshi is the Kuldevta (family deity) of many Goud Saraswat Brahmins, Karhade Brahmins ,and Bhandaris. This temple actually had its origins in Kushasthali Cortalim, a village in Saxty (Salcette) which fell to the invading Portuguese in 1543.In the year 1560, the Portuguese started Christian conversions in Salsette taluka, the Saraswats of Vatsa Gotra felt insecure and shifted the Mangesh Linga from the original site at the Kushasthali or Cortalim on the banks of river Aghanashini (Zuari) to its present location at Mangeshi in Priol village of Atrunja Taluka, on May 1, 1560 A.D. (according to Hindu calendar - 1482 sakha) then ruled by the Hindu kings of Sonde of Antruz mahal (Ponda), to prevent certain destruction. After remaining in the house of a temple priest for sometime, Sri Mangesh deity was finally installed in its present site at Priol.
The original site was a very simple structure, and the current structure was only built under Maratha rule, some 150 years after it had been moved. The Peshwas donated the village of Mangeshi to the temple in 1739 on the suggestion of their Sardar, Shri Ramchandra Malhar Sukhtankar, who was a staunt follower of Shri Mangesh. Ironically, just a few years after it was built, this area too fell into Portuguese hand in 1764, but by now, the Portuguese had lost their initial religious zeal and had become quite tolerant of other religions, and so, this structure remained untouched.
The 400-year-old Shri Mangesh temple dedicated to Shiva stands out with its simple and yet
exquisitely elegant structure. The temple is noted for the pillars which are considered to be the most beautiful among the temples in Goa. There is a prominent Nandi Bull which is considered to be the Vahana (Vehicle) of Shiva. A beautiful seven-storeyed deepstambha (lamp tower), stands at the gates in the temple complex.
The templ e also has a magnificent water tank, which is believe to be the oldest part of the temple.
The Sabha Griha is a spacious hall which accommodates over 500. The decor includes the chandeliers of the nineteenth century. The central part of the Sabha Griha leads to the Garbha Griha where image of Mangesh resides. The temple has shrines of Parvati and Ganesha. The other deities in the temple are Nandikeshvar, Gajana, Bhagavati and the Gramapurusha Deva Sharma of the Vatsa gotra. Other features to see here are the ancient stone devatas housed in the subsidiary shrines to the rear of the main building are Mulakeshwsar, Virabhadra, Lakshminarayana, Shanta Durga and Kala Bhairav.
Min. 8 hours / 80 kms
2 – 4 pax
Type of Car
AC or Non AC Available
Kindly Call 09765227999
For Booking Terms / Company procedures
and Cancellation policies, etc kindly visit